The Catholic Cathedral, better known to locals as the Duomo, is dedicated to Saints Giacomo and Cristoforo. It was built in the 1400s on the Town Hall Square, and dedicated as a cathedral in 1633. It has not ceased since then to provide spiritual aid to Corfiot Catholics, and any Catholic visitors to the island. In 1658 the church was drastically renovated, almost rebuilt, and since then the Holy Relic of St Arsenios has reposed there. A single-aisled building with six side-chapels, it was destroyed internally by bombing in the Second World War. Restoration work lasted until 1970; by 1980 a church organ had been transported and installed from the historic church of St Francis, where the peaceful accord for the placement of Corfu under Venetian protection was signed. An Elegant building with the typical 17th c. pediment curve, the denticulated tower and its tall belfry.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.