On 12th September of 1840 a group of Corfiots signed the founding proceeding of Corfu Philharmonic Society. This educational and concert organization, under the artistic superintendence initially of Nikolaos Halikiopoulos Mantzaros and later of other important composers of the Ionian Islands (such as Domenikos Padovanis, Dionysios Rodotheatos and Dimitrios Andronis) became one of the main centers for the development of art music in 19th century Ionian Islands and Greece. Soon it established itself as a model for similar institutions in Greece and several of its graduates played also their role in Greek musical life. The Museum of the Philharmonic attempts to present in brief the history of the institution after almost two centuries of incessant activity (which coincides with some of the most dramatic periods of modern history). Moreover, the Museum honours Nikolaos Halikiopoulos Mantzaros (1795-1872), the Society’s first artistic director (1841-1872), composer –among others– of the Greek national anthem, laborious music teacher and contrapuntist, as well as inspirer of a whole generation of composers that shaped the music of Ionian Islands, and not only, during 19th century.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Special Offers
The Admission is free